Monday, November 19, 2012

Literary Work





Here's a short manga I designed about a little's boy's daily playtime, meant to showcase a few different uses of katakana. As you can see, I've heavily utilized katakana for the sake of onomatopoeia, mimicking the sounds as the boy runs about, hits different toys and jumps. I also used katakana for emphasis on the word "strong", as the boy lifts his blocks, and on the word "I" in the boy's dialogue box to emphasize the feeling of toughness and masculinity. Lastly, I used katakana for Superman's name, as it is a foreign word/character name. (Just to be clear, this manga reads left to right, not right to left as usual in manga. Hopefully there was no confusion, sorry about that.)

10 comments:

  1. Hello. My name is Saki Harashima. This short manga is good. You can use onomatope very well. Surperman who defeat toys is interesting. Do you like to draw mangas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I'm a Japanese.
    Your manga and Katakana are
    very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your manga is very interesting!!
    I want you to make up sequel.
    I expect you to do good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great manga! I love the visual style of it. (Though it looks better in person!) The usage of katakana to signify masculinity through the use of the word "I" by the little boy could not have been more apt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm Kengo, a Ritsumeikan university student. This manga is awesome! The usage of katakana as is as great as Japanese manga is. And each word you wrote in this manga is beautiful. The more you add words to your manga, the more great and cool your manga will be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The character reminds me of Anpan Man, Superman, and the Ninja Turtles.
    I think it was a good idea to write boku not in kanji, I would think hiragana would see more childish, but its a good point that writing it in katakana would see more masculine especially just in the way the characters look.

    Did you make up the sound effects yourself or did you use a website? I wonder how often mangaka make up their own and how often they need to reference the standard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, my name is Shinya. I'm a student of Ritsumeikan University which is Japanese university.
    Your literary work is nice!
    You can use katakana well. Please keep learning Japanese. I boost you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. すごいまんがですね!とてもかわい!
    わたしはロースです。バーナード大学の一年生です。はぎめまして!

    ReplyDelete
  9. とてもきれいです!You are a very good artist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. こんにちは!わたしは チェンです。コロンビア大学のたつみ先生の学生です。
    マリアさんは すごいですね!あなたの え は とてもかわいいです。

    タタ~

    ReplyDelete